iotaSciences, a University of Oxford spin-out, is an innovative and fast-growing biotechnology company that emerged from the Universities engineering and biology departments. We offer unique solutions to cell line development. These solutions accelerate and advance biomedicine across a wide range of applications including gene editing, disease modelling and drug discovery; with current customers from universities, hospitals and industry. Our employees are motivated to deliver the most innovative next generation technologies in biomedicine that will ultimately translate ideas to clinics faster.
About the role
We are looking for graduates to join our team as mechanical design engineer to aid in the design, production and refinement of our existing and future products. We are a small team of engineers tasked with creating, delivering and supporting microfluidic handling robotics and vision systems. These are based on iotaSciences unique technologies and are used in stem cell and gene editing research.
The role would mainly involve designing and prototyping parts and assemblies for existing and future products. Design solutions will need to meet the varied needs of our present and future customers whilst also being suitable for low volume production. Due to the nature of small teams, the role will likely also extend into other responsibilities, resulting in an opportunity to gain experience over a wide range of range of the product life cycle.
• Production of prototypes using 3D printers or external rapid manufacturing services.
• Close collaboration with internal users and application scientists to identify customer needs and therefore design specifications.
• Aiding manufacturing through the creation of BOMs, assembly drawings, manuals and design of jigs and other manufacturing documentation as required.
• Contribute to the creation and maintenance of technical documentation for users and to satisfy compliance requirements.
• Working with suppliers to ensure parts are manufactured to specification.
• CAD training/experience (we use Onshape but experience with other packages acceptable). • Awareness of various manufacturing methods. •Strong interest in industrial design. • Excellent attention to detail.
(but in no way essential!)
• Solo projects involving design and/or prototyping.
• Experience with 3D printing.
• Experience with version control.
Interested in making a real impact across biomedicine and joining a growing business; please submit a cover letter detailing how you address the requirements of this position and your earliest start date along with your CV by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org